Guidelines for AAGSNC Journal Submissions
Thank you for your interest in submitting an article for the AAGSNC’s quarterly journal, the Baobab Tree. Here are some helpful hints to get you started:
Ideas for Articles:
- Using Video to Tell Your Story (Digital Storytelling)
- Exploring Different Ways to Present Your Family History
- Internet Tips and Tricks
- Using Genealogy Software
- Breaking Through the Brick Wall
- Conducting Interviews
- Research Trips
- Exploring Cemeteries
- Beyond the Census: Other State and Federal Resources
- Newspaper Research
- Slave Research
- Document transcriptions (i.e. wills, estate inventories, etc.)
The following is required for every article that is submitted:
- Bio (that does not exceed 200 words) and photograph of the author
- 150 word abstract about the content of the article
- Preferred File Type: Microsoft Word Document
Mystery Photos - If you are unable to identify the people in an old photo, submit it, and any details you may have about it.
Queries - Need help with your brick wall? Submit your query and allow an expert to help you.
2/15 for Spring
5/15 for Summer
7/15 for Fall
10/15 for Winter
Website Submission Guidelines for Contributors
Articles or data is considered for publication by the Web Site Committee. Parts of previously published material cannot be used without written permission of the author and/or copyright holder.
AAGSNC does not assume responsibility for errors of fact or misrepresentations made by contributor.
- Text must be typed, and double spaced using preferable a 12-point font in Times Roman
- Margins should be 1 inch left, right, top. There should be a double space between sentences.
- Include the title on the top of the page. Do not use abbreviations.
- All submissions must be submitted digital online or physically to the Web Committee on CD or flashdrive preferable as a pdf file. (unconverted files must be in one of the following software formats: Microsoft Word, WordPerfect, Microsoft XL or Lotus 123).
- All sources of information must be sited with endnotes versus footnotes.
Pictures and Graphics:
- Digital photos should be submitted in TIFF or high resolution JPG format6.
- Permission to Reproduce or Adapt Copyright-Protected Material
Permission must be obtained from the Editor of the AAGSNC Journal The Baobab Tree to publish any articles, manuscripts, family group record sheets, and/or visual images that have been published in the Journal The Baobab Tree of the African American Genealogical Society of Northern California.
In granting permission to publish materials previously published in the Journal, The Baobab Tree, the AAGSNC does not surrender its right to grant the same permission to others. The copyright law of the United States (U.S. Code, Title 17) governs the making of photocopies and reproductions of copyrighted material. Therefore, the publishing party assumes all responsibility for obtaining permission for use of any material where copyrights, literary property rights, or other forms of ownership of intellectual property may apply, in conformance with the provisions of the United States copyright law.
Databases, Presentations, Podcasts, Webinars
Permission must be obtained from the author to publish any presentation, article, manuscript, family group record sheet, visual image, or database that has been published on this site for the benefit of AAGSNC members personal use.
In granting permission to publish materials posted on this site, the author does not surrender his or her right to grant the same permission to others. The copyright law of the United States (U.S. Code, Title 17) governs the making of photocopies and reproductions of copyrighted material. Therefore, the publishing party assumes all responsibility for obtaining permission for use of any material where copyrights, literary property rights, or other forms of ownership of intellectual property may apply, in conformance with the provisions of the United States copyright law.